Friday, February 14, 2014

Craft-Menu Board

I have been wanting to make a menu board for months now, but just didn't know how to go about doing it. After getting a few ideas off of Pinterest, I combined things I liked and created my very own menu board. I made this craft for under $20 dollars.

Supplies:
insulated cookie sheet ( I chose one with a hole in the top, just to make it easier to hang)
coordinating paper
poster putty
velcro
magnetic pencil cup
small notepad
cheap magnets
hot glue gun
vinyl
ribbon

The most challenging part of this craft for me was figuring out how to get the paper to stick to the cookie sheet. I found that small amounts of poster putty worked great! I would just place small amounts around the edges. I would just make sure the pieces were pulled flat so that the paper wouldn't look bubbled. Maybe I did it the hard way? I don't know, as I said before, I didn't know how to go about this craft and so this craft was a lot of trial and error.

Once I got the paper to stick and look smooth, I cut the vinyl. I used my Cricut to cut the word the "Menu" and the days of the weeks for the magnets. If you don't have access to vinyl, paper will work just fine.

I then set about making the magnets for each day of the week. I just bought cheap magnets at Walmart. I cut seven 1 inch circles using my Cricut. I then pulled the clear bauble away from the magnet and stuck my own circles on top of the magnet. I then used a hot glue gun to glue the bauble back on.

For the grocery shopping list notebook I used velcro to adhere it to the board. I then made the dinner cards and placed them in the magnetic pencil cup.

I then threaded ribbon through the handy dandy hole at the top of the sheet and tied a knot. And tada! Menu board complete!

I am really excited with how this turned out. I got really frustrated trying to figure out how to make the paper stick,  but once that was solved I loved this project. I am so excited to begin using it. I am hoping that it will help me to get organized in my meal planning and shopping.

1 comment: